Accepted Historical Facts
consensus among ancient historians is that all of the following are
* Jesus of Nazareth, and the rest of the named people below, were
* John the Baptist baptised Jesus of Nazareth.
* Jesus gained a reputation for working amazing miracles.
* Pontius Pilate condemned Jesus to death by crucifixion at
* A few days later, Jesus’ followers (including Simon Peter,
James the brother of Jesus and John the Apostle) were convinced that
Jesus was alive again.
* No-one could find the body of Jesus to debunk this, although
many had powerful motivations to do so.
* Jesus’ followers started the message that he was alive in the
most hostile place: Jerusalem where he had been killed and entombed.
* They succeeded in spreading that message throughout the known
* Paul of Tarsus was initially hostile, but he became convinced
that he had encountered Jesus months after Jesus’ death; he was
then one of the most enthusiastic in spreading the message.
* Every written reference to Jesus’ death also refers to his
resurrection, including those from non-Christian authors.
Many people will deny the reality of some of these people and events
because they don't fit their chosen world-view, but there's no need to
debate with them. Someone who denies the consensus reached by experts
in their own field is basically a conspiracy theorist.